The project goal is to provide 300,000 students with stimulating educational experience by 2015
Update: We are excited to Share Dr. Farouk El-Baz support to #Go-Teach project by Tahrir Academy.
Watch Dr.Farouk El-Baz talk about the important role of Tahrir Academy in providing stimulating educational experience for youth to build a generation of critical thinkers and knowledge seekers. If you agree with his message, share it!
Students graduate every year without proper knowledge and skills that would equip them to take charge of their future. Even in its simplest terms, students face difficulty in choosing their own majors and specializations.
Traditional teaching methods and large numbers of students in classes, with 5 million students in 140 thousand classes, averaging 60 students per class, have impacted the quality of education, and students tend to memorize knowledge rather than understand and comprehend it, leading to an old Egyptian phrase “Memorized but not understood”.
Education is not only limited to school curriculum. The current problems involve methods of teaching (hampered by large class size) where it becomes difficult to comprehend the curriculum. Students resort to memorizing in order to pass.
To address the problem, Tahrir Academy has put forth nontraditional methods of providing education and enhancing learning and knowledge through technology and internet, providing an elevated learning experience that is based on understanding rather than memorizing. The method is interactive and prioritizes the need to peak students’ curiosity and ways to capture and keep students’ attention.
How will The Project Help?
In order to benefit a larger number of students, especially those with no access to the internet, Tahrir Academy has launched “Enzel Allem” (i.e. Go Teach) project.
The project will provide teachers, NGOs and parents with a manual outlining the know-how and methods needed to apply the blended learning methodology to use Tahrir Academy online educational content with students in schools, youth clubs, homes or other locations.
For the sake of creating an interactive space where knowledge and science can flourish, and where students, teachers and NGOs can participate in an active community that promotes knowledge and learning. Tahrir Academy website will integrate online assessment tools that will help in evaluating the comprehension of the students. Moreover, new tailored courses will be produced in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics serving the integrated learning technique.
How the project will use the money?
The project target.
To provide a stimulating educational experience for youth from age 13 to 18 years old in order to build a generation of critical thinkers, knowledge seekers and future leaders
You can play an essential role in the success of this project in many ways:
- Contribute: With your contribution, the project will empower 300,000 students who are empowered to think, choose and decide.
- Become an Educator with Tahrir Academy: Be part of the project through using the website educational content and teach the content material to the students you know in your circles.
- Share the "Enzel Allem" pagewith your family and friends and help us spread the idea among the largest number of people.
- Share your learning experience: Shoot a video or write a post on your own experience about "understanding vs. memorizing" or your experience as an "Enzel Allem" educator and how you actually perceive it. And spread the word on our hashtag #Go_Teach
Tahrir Academy is a blended learning platform that creates engaging learning experiences to stimulate the minds of Egyptian youth, empowering them to think, choose and decide.
Vision:A generation of critical thinkers, knowledge seekers and future leaders.
Mission:To create mind-stimulating learning experiences through utilizing the power of the community and the internet.
- We believe in the right to free and unconditional access to high-quality education for every learner regardless of their location or socioeconomic class.
- We believe that life’s best rewards come from sharing knowledge and the impact it creates on the lives of the learners
- We believe in open systems; where the crowd becomes a main contributor to service development and delivery
- We believe in the power of volunteerism to drive knowledge sharing in Egypt
- We believe in Education as a solution to many of Egypt’s challenges
Tahrir Academy has produced 103 courses so far, with the support of experts from Harvard, Cairo University and the American University in Cairo. Moreover, well renowned scientists such as Dr. Farouk El Baz, Dr. Essam El Heggy and Soliman Khan, the founder of Khan Academy, support it.
- Recipient of “Best MOOC (Massive Online Open Course) in the Developing World” Award; University of Pennsylvania, 2014.
- Recipient of “Best Educational Channel on Youtube” Award; MENA Region, 2013.